So how can you be the leader you want to be? Here are some tips to get you started:
- Self-care - it's the old adage that you need to put your own oxygen mask on first before. Practice resilience, mindfulness, or taking some time out to feel your own feelings before helping and building others up.
- Focus on the vision - what is it that you are trying to accomplish in the short term (next 4-8 weeks) and then in the long term. Create a common vision so that your whole team is aligned around the same short and long term goals.
- Communicate frequently both for work and as check-ins - everyone wants to feel connected in a time of social distancing. Have daily or every other day check-ins with your team to determine how they are doing personally and professionally. Have one on one check ins weekly so that people can share what is on their mind. The more connection you foster the more that people will feel that you care.
- Allow for some ups and downs in productivity - as everyone is going through the ups and downs of the emotions of the times, having families at home to manager, and/or facing health issues themselves leaders have to be cognizant of the need for some empathy. Allowance for some down time, some leeway in the normal work hours, and/or the productivity levels is going to be important at this time. Show empathy and care at this time for people need that right now.
- Show your own humanity - as leaders we are going through the same feelings as everyone else. Show your own feelings and be vulnerable. Allow people to know that you don't have all of the right answers all of the time either. Together you can all get through this.