- Character/Integrity - in 8 years time there was never any scandals, lawsuits, issues. He stayed true to his authentic nature has a person, stayed true to his family values by being a devoted husband and father, stayed true to his vision of a united America by helping more and more human beings in the country and around the world. That shows that he is a man of true character.
- Inclusiveness - he worked tirelessly to get more and more and more people feeling included in the American way of life - blacks, Hispanics, women, the LGBT community. He understood that the more diversity there is that feels included or a part of the American fabric the stronger and more united we can become. That is a great leadership characteristic.
- Great communications skills - most people cannot argue that Obama is one of the best orators of our time. He is able to connect emotionally to people and truly bring them into this vision of change, believe in what he is saying, and unite people around a common set of values.
- Vision - Obama focuses on a big vision and tries to get people to come along. While he had a difficult time with Congress he still had major successes in office by having a compelling vision - such as a growing economy, passing of health care reform, catching and killing Osama Bin Laden, etc. When leaders have a vision and have the oratory skills to have people want to come along with their agenda they can make progress.
- Collaborator - Obama in his foreign policy really worked at working inclusively, creating strong ties internationally, and developing a more collaborative style with foreign countries. He pivoted to Asia, opened up communications with Cuba, and worked to de-escalate nuclear tensions with Iran. All of this was ways to enhance collaboration throughout the world.
As we come to the end of Obama's 8 years in office it is time to reflect on the leadership characteristics which I believe made him a good role model for leadership:
Monica Thakrar has over 18 years experience in business focused mainly on strategy, change management, leadership development, training and coaching resulting in successful implementations of large scale transformation programs.