- Self-perception - understanding your emotions
- Self-expression - expressing your emotions
- Interpersonal - developing and maintaining relationships
- Decision-making - using emotions to make better decisions
- Stress-management - coping with challenges
The higher the scores on each of these components (which have sub-categories which I will cover in my next post) the better that you can be as a leader. Ever been around a leader who blew up constantly when things went wrong (e.g. - were not able to manage stress) or who was really controlling or dominant (e.g. - was not great at developing interpersonal relationships)? Well in both of those scenarios their emotional intelligence in those areas were perhaps lower than others and could be developed in order to enhance their success and ability to lead a team. What of the five areas above are you strongest at? Which area could you use some development?